Tuesday, June 1, 2010

how good to read


so i have completely neglected good reads for like two years. i forgot what a good source it is to keep track of books - i need a book recommendation for this month so i thought i would check in and boy did i go to town updating my lists, writing reviews and reading statuses! (or is it statusi?)

so check out my new sidebar of what i am currently reading and my favorite books. in the meantime, i need a suggestion of a fun, easy read.

i already have the longest list ever of books to read but even though i am a very fast reader, the books i tend to pick are long, challenging and laborious at times. i love it though!

however i am going camping

{you read that right, livi is going camping}

and i want something fun to read something i can just whiz through, escape and enjoy. any suggestions? i will be sans iphone - talk about withdrawls - up there in the barren wilderness (aka: beautiful green camping site not far away next to a pretty lake) and will need something good to distract me.

check out more of my reading list here


image: my own, chianti

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, you might get more than you asked for! But here goes... :)

    - 'Three Weeks with my Brother' remains one of my favorite books! I can't say I've ever read a Nicholas Sparks novel, and I think the movies tend to be cheesy, but this autobiography/travelogue is simply amazing. I found myself laughing out loud on one page and literally bawling on the next. Plus, the story of his life is paralleled against this 3 week around the world tour (with his brother, naturally), which of course appeals to those of us with travel obsessions.

    - If you haven't read the 'Hunger Games'/'Catching Fire' books yet, you really should! I started the Hunger Games at 11 pm on night, and could not put it down until I finished it at 3:30 in the morning. Totally captivating, quick, easy reads. Every once in awhile, you need a great teen novel series. :)

    And on more serious notes:

    - 'God Grew Tired of Us' was one of the most moving books I've ever read.

    - I just finished 'Half the Sky' today on my lunch break, and I feel like you would totally love it. Very empowering and motivating and heartbreaking, all about the oppression of women and why we should care more about emancipating women across the globe.

    Alright, have fun reading!! :)

    P.s. I saw your comment on Goodreads, and the Guernsey book is absolutely GREAT. I thought the style of the novel was so fun, and it's a beautiful, believable story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by David Sedaris. Each book is a collection of real-life short stories that will have you in stitches. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know you, so I can't say for sure what kind of books you'd like, ones that I love, and are quick fun reads are:

    The Hunger Games
    Ender's Game
    Magic and Malice
    Uglies

    and if you ever want more, just let me know!

    have fun camping.

    mythoughtsandtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete