Monday, August 17, 2009

500 days of summer


I realize this will not be a popular post.

I hated it. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated it.

I didn't just like it. I thought it was the stupidest movie I've seen all summer with the exception of The Brother's Bloom.

My grievances: - It supposed to be quirky, inventive, innovative look at romance via film but it was fraught with cliche after cliche.

Cliches: - Quirky, fun loving, full of life girl helps boy break free from The Man and inspires him to do what he really dreams. I've seen that a few million times before. - Erasing the chalkboard and redrawing a new skyline to represent the new phase in his life. Pah - leeese.

- Sitting in diners and watching old movies is supposed to make the main characters interesting. - The "P" game? Sheesh. I think we all played that ending in, I dunno the 7th grade. And this is supposed to be endearing and funny? No. Its just stupid and unoriginal. - Girl that doesn't work out helps boy to find his true love. Cliche cliche cliche. - We go to a store and run through like were alive and don't care what anyone thinks of us. Doing funny silly things in public. Aren't we indie and quirky?? UGGH.

But the biggest cliche and eye roll forcer that I can see is the big, "stick it to the man", I quit speech at the greeting card weekly meeting. Once again, been there, done it so many times in films before.

It Peddled Lies (and lacked any sort of moral code):

- Pornography is adorable

- Its ok to be callous with someone's feelings and lead someone on as long as you "make yourself clear" initially

- little children are smarter than adults. this more' is rampant in popular media. The idea that adults are stupid and that children have the proper outlook on life and adult relationships and love. I was absolutely positively DISGUSTED just DISGUSTED that they had that sweet little 11 something year old girl say that bad word. Ewww.

- lack of commitment in relationships is acceptable and preferable

The film was entirely pretentious and way to full of itself. Its like the film tried so hard to prove that it was different, scrappy, and fun that it followed a bland formulaic path we've seen millions of times before.

I just. thought. it. was. stupid.

The supporting cast was filled with poor poor acting (the sister? the roommates? come. on.)

And I don't think Zooey Deschanel's wardrobe (with the exception of the dress she wore to her co-workers wedding) wasn't THAT great.

The soundtrack is good but it isn't going to change your life. (With the exception of that lovely Carla Bruni song I so enjoy but I liked Carla Bruni before my life was affected by this horrible movie)

One of my favorite lines from reviews of this movie sums it all up for me:
"
Watching "(500) Days of Summer" feels like being forced to sit still while someone you can't stand tries very hard to charm you. " - Chris Hewitt


1 comment:

  1. Ok, ok, I can admit it. You're 100% right about everything -- except her wardrobe! :) I remember rolling my eyes at the whole, in-the-midst-of-romantic-despair-he-changes-his-life-and-seeks-out-his-true-passion-in-life ending of him becoming an architect.

    But I was still really entertained. And I liked the movie. But it's definitely not one to be overthought.

    p.s. Carla Bruni is the bomb.com. Why does everything sounds better in French?

    ReplyDelete