Sunday, August 16, 2009

Twitter...

This is a Sam post:



A year ago at the mention of Twitter most people who give you one raised eyebrow. Now it seems to permeate through every form of mass media. Barack Obama was/is on Twitter, all the news channels are all about Twitter, and of course there's Ashton Kutcher. Twitter has become so ridiculously trendy that everyone is jumping on the band wagon. A trend that I hope will die soon.

This entire time I've been asking myself why? How is Twitter innovative? The technology has been utilized by MySpace and Facebook and other social networking sites for years, what makes this subpar idea of only focusing on status updates so appealing? The answer to this question, I believe, lies in the fact that people these days are extremely self absorbed. Social Networking could be considered a part of this same self absorption, but I think Twitter takes it to a whole new level. Blogging is another example, but I can say a lot more and rant in one post than Twitter could ever give me.

I know that most of my friends and family go on Facebook to get updated on the lives of people who are either far away, or friends that haven’t been seen since High School. Curious nosy habits like this are simply a part of life; I’m guilty of it as well. But on Twitter the focus is not on friend finding, but on the individual who is posting their status. I’ve read Twitter pages and while I do I always think of why 99% of these status updates are pertinent to life. Why is it so necessary that I read that you’ve gone from riding to a concert, to then being at that same concert, to how great it is, and finally to how it was. Who, aside from your significant other, or mom cares to know this much information? Answer: other self absorbed envious people. OK…that was harsh, but I think a good portion are like that.

I couldn’t leave this whole topic without attacking the phrasing of friendships. To say that I have a “following” is a tad presumptuous. I believe it only reinforces the mentality of those posting their useless status updates to build up this false image that people actually care. I realize I may be a little over the top here, but I think one word could really describe how I feel.

Really?



No comments:

Post a Comment