

this summer at the movies FINALLY redeemed itself with Julie and Julia.
Mr. Whitaker and I went to see it last night and it was a dream. We laughed the whole way through and the food was a feast for the eye. The bruschetta at the beginning looked like it had Ratatouille on it or something. YUM! Sam and I plan to recreate.
The story was good the acting superb (Meryl Streep was spot on - Stanley Tucci also was quite solid) and the music fun. It was a great movie. Even Sam liked it!!
It was so entertaining to watch the juxtaposition between Paris and New York. The crowded subways, the struggling with grocery bags through the streets all reminded me of NYC. When she was furiously pushing through the turnstile with all her bags and plant I leaned over to Sam and said, "Those were the good ol days".
Paris back in the day was a joy to watch! It made me want to go back in the 50's-60's and live abroad. All the American Ex-Pats, the parties, the FOOD. Lovely.
I also really liked that the movie was about love stories as much as it was about food. The relationships between husbands and wives was fun and refreshing to watch. It was so nice to watch marriages instead of hook ups, live ins, or the casual romances we see so much in mainstream movies. As a newlywed I definitely could relate. Having said that we kind of got grossed out with all the Meryl Streep/Stanley Tucci make outs.
My critcism: the vulgarity. I do not understand why perfectly good movies need to be ruined with the F word. It is such a low-class vulgar word and COMPLETELY uneccessary in movies. Yuck. Also the rampant use of the b word was entirely ridiculous and offensive. Esspecially in a movie celebrating women, we need to rise above that word.
Mr. Whitaker and I went to see it last night and it was a dream. We laughed the whole way through and the food was a feast for the eye. The bruschetta at the beginning looked like it had Ratatouille on it or something. YUM! Sam and I plan to recreate.
The story was good the acting superb (Meryl Streep was spot on - Stanley Tucci also was quite solid) and the music fun. It was a great movie. Even Sam liked it!!
It was so entertaining to watch the juxtaposition between Paris and New York. The crowded subways, the struggling with grocery bags through the streets all reminded me of NYC. When she was furiously pushing through the turnstile with all her bags and plant I leaned over to Sam and said, "Those were the good ol days".
Paris back in the day was a joy to watch! It made me want to go back in the 50's-60's and live abroad. All the American Ex-Pats, the parties, the FOOD. Lovely.
I also really liked that the movie was about love stories as much as it was about food. The relationships between husbands and wives was fun and refreshing to watch. It was so nice to watch marriages instead of hook ups, live ins, or the casual romances we see so much in mainstream movies. As a newlywed I definitely could relate. Having said that we kind of got grossed out with all the Meryl Streep/Stanley Tucci make outs.
My critcism: the vulgarity. I do not understand why perfectly good movies need to be ruined with the F word. It is such a low-class vulgar word and COMPLETELY uneccessary in movies. Yuck. Also the rampant use of the b word was entirely ridiculous and offensive. Esspecially in a movie celebrating women, we need to rise above that word.
Good to hear! I love Meryl Streep!
ReplyDelete